How to organize a road trip
Road trips are a fun way to travel. These trips allow you the freedom to manage your own time, to stop whenever you want and to deviate from the motorways and main roads in search of picturesque landscapes and attractions. Make a road trip is a fantastic activity but can also be stressful, so if you plan to “make a road trip” plan ahead to avoid suffering stress and avoid interruptions in the trip. But how to organize a road trip?
Don’t worry we are going to give you some useful advice so you can enjoy your trip.
How to organize a road trip: some useful tips
Check the condition of the vehicle, rest well the night before and check the status of the roads are unavoidable tasks before getting behind the wheel and go on a long journey. But are not the only key. As important as planning the route and study the maps ahead is to address the weather, do the right luggage, charge the phone battery and carrying medicines, food and drink. Also a must stop every two hours to rest your eyes and stretch your legs.
Too many duties? No. Although the trip is a leisure plan, driving long hours is an important physical exhaustion, especially when there is only one driver. Therefore-and because during weekends and holidays peaks of activity, accidents and traffic jams- it is vital to take precautions.
Trip planning, critical
The car is the medium of choice for family tourism, especially transport. Every year there are a million new drivers and you have to remember that some times of the year are particularly sensitive. Easter, the beginning of summer, Christmas holidays and bridges are dates, with millions of displacements in a few hours. For that reason, trip planning and the ideal time to undertake it is critical.
- The first is choosing the destination, decide on a road map the way that best suits the needs and chart a main route (still watching, at least one alternative). People who have a GPS navigator have it easier, because the device itself proposes various options. However, it is always convenient to carry a traditional map, if the technology fails or browser information is outdated.
- The next thing is to check that the road is in good condition. For this, the DGT provides on its website a map of incidents in real time. It alerts drivers to weather incidents, accidents, delays, operational deviations, works in progress, landslides and floods, among other problems. Should consult minutes before starting the journey to see if you need to draw a “plan B” or even cancel the trip.
- Once chosen the road if the route is very long should divide it into stages. Establish beforehand several rest stops and anticipate what will be needed in each of them will make the trip more enjoyable and, above all, help you avoid surprises. In this respect, it is essential to think about the food, drink and calculate the amount of fuel that will be required between a point and the next to know where to refuel. Similarly, we must take into account the change in climate to have adequate clothing and accessories. Tip: sunglasses never is too many, even when it is cloudy. In times of high brightness and glare, improve vision and vision rest.
- As for the dates, start the trip on a weekday and did not match the beginning or end of the month or season bridge is a plus point for caravans and avoid traffic density. When this is not possible, the best advice is to be patient and not watch the clock. We do have to pay attention to the accelerator and respect traffic signs and speed bumps new, albeit temporary. What is important is to target, I do not do it in record time.
Are they obvious tips? Never underestimate all the details to organize a road trip worthy to be remembered!
Often, the rest is subtracted importance because it seems impossible for anyone to fall asleep at the wheel, or even head. However, fatigue and lack of sleep are responsible for almost half of the accidents in the world. Rest is an aspect that should take care both before and during the trip. Organizing your road trip you should consider also:
- The moment. Who will face several hours of driving at the wheel should get enough sleep the night before and start the journey early in the day.
- Food. If the plan is to travel in the afternoon, avoid heavy meals-and that cause sleepiness and slow digestion and not consume alcohol, even if they are low-grade, since they reduce the visual field, reduce glare and stimulate aggression among other effects. Before a long trip, it is always best to eat a frugal meal, drink water, soda or juice and take some fruit for the road. Less is more.
- The dressing. Relaxed travel improves handling and provides more mobility helps counter fatigue. So you have to wear comfortable clothes and shoes, have on hand personal items that may be necessary during the journey and avoid wearing too tight. One caveat: within footwear, remember that everything is comfortable walking is not practical or safe to drive. In the case of flip-flops, which can be hooked to the pedals and cause accidents.
- Stops. In addition to the previous rest, it is essential to relax during the trip with stops. Try to do it every two hours or every 200 kilometers to air, walk around and do some stretching. Remember it not only to stop every two hours, but ingesting some sort of refreshment. The reason? Sugar content and / or caffeine helps maintain attention and concentration while driving.
A visit to the workshop
Although accident rates have declined significantly in recent years, accidents with fatalities and serious injuries still number in the thousands. Before you pack, displaying the maps and prepare to enjoy, it is essential to check the status of the car. The first visit of the trip is undoubtedly the workshop. You should check:
- Oil level, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, water and fluid management.
- Lighting and height of the headlights.
- State of the brakes, steering, spark plugs, pressure and tread pattern of the tires, wiper blades, engine hoses and clamps fixed parts.
- Correct position of the seats and their anchorages, and the rear-view mirrors, without blind spots.
In the vehicle must not lack the necessary spare parts such as spare wheels, manual lifting vehicle (cat), the fan belt and a set of lights in good condition, along with tools for installation. The lights are a crucial part of the vehicle, since it is essential to provide good visibility on the road and the car to be seen by other drivers. For this reason, the bulbs must always be clean and well regulated to avoid dazzling others.
Before you pack, displaying the maps and prepare to enjoy, it is essential to check the condition of the car
Regarding the engine, you have to check all parts before starting the journey as well as shock absorbers, steering and brakes. Nor should miss two triangles in the trunk signaling danger approved and a reflective vest.
On the moons, they should always be clean, without shocks or scratches and perfectly fitted to avoid risky situations. Do not let dust accumulate during the trip and mosquitoes, and we must change the brushes when they are cracked.
Instead of all these checks, you could pick a rental car, if you don’t trust about your own car. See here “Are rental car safe?” post. Rent a car is an easier way, probably, to organize a road trip in a secure and quick way (see our best prices through rentalcars widget).
Children, safety and tips
Traveling with children is not always easy. Often they are commuting more boring than an adult and it is customary regularly ask if “it is hard to get.” Thus, when children are traveling, is necessary to prepare a “luggage games”, a number of resources to keep you entertained for the duration of the journey. Fun is a priority, but for adults who travel should be safe. Therefore, remember that:
- Despite the boredom and interest in travel in the front seats, children should always occupy the rear seats and also must use an approved restraint system, which will vary depending on their weight and size, not their age.
- These chairs allow adequate small child restraint during the trip and avoid that in case of collision, can be ejected. In a crash, the behavior of a child is different from an adult and injuries can be more serious.
- Although small body responds well to fracture because their skeletal configuration is more flexible and is more likely to suffer internal bleeding, since vital organs can be detached more easily.
It´s not easy to keep all this recommendations about how to organize a road trip, but will help you to enjoy your trip, don’t take for granted.