Probably the best thing you can do is do your research online before you book your flight. This is where you are going to find out all you need to know about your destination and how to go about renting a vehicle to get you around. You can even reserve a car right from home and pick it up when you get there. If you are traveling to Italy and flying into Palermo, for example, you can take advantage of the car rentals at Palermo Airport when you arrive. There are many agencies to choose from. In fact, especially in the small Palermo Airport, it’s better not improvise and pre-book online and safely all the services you need, from your home.
It is going to help you if you know the kind of vehicle you want to rent beforehand. This way you can inquire at any rental agency to see if they have the particular car in their fleet. Top rental companies usually have many different makes and models for you to choose from. They have cars that are new, great rates for daily, weekly, or monthly rental as well as excellent customer service and roadside assistance should you need it. Beware though-not all car rental agencies are as scrupulous as a nationally known company.
Good things to know at Palermo Airport – Renting a car
- Read your rental agreement before you sign.
- Ask how much insurance coverage you have should you have an accident.
- Does the agency have service 24/7 or are they only open on certain days.
- Car rentals at Palermo Airport “Falcone Borsellino” normally operate during the day until certain hours in the evening.
- You also need to know what type of roadside assistance they offer in case you have a breakdown or issues with your rental.
- Cover all your bases before you get behind the wheel.
- Look online for a list of things you should know and what to ask at the rental agency.
- Make sure you understand all the fees and charges that are associated with your car rental at Palermo Airport, precisely located in “Punta Raisi”. Comparing prices is one thing, but remember-the cheapest agency isn’t necessarily the best one to sign with just as the most expensive doesn’t mean you are getting anything any better. Try to go for the middle of the road pricing unless you can afford more.
- Read the fine print in the contract, and don’t assume you know what it means. If you don’t understand something make sure you ask!
- Know when your car is due back and what you will pay if you are late. This is where the hours of the rental operation come into play.
- Always important is to make sure you have a GPS system in your rental car, especially travelling in Sicily, where not all the signs are so clear and frequent along the road.
- If you are new to the area you don’t want to spend hours looking for something and wasting the gas which is expensive, and that you pay for. Yes, gas is in addition to what you pay to rent the car, so consider that when trying to decide what size vehicle you want or need.
- A big luxury car is going to be a lot harder to navigate in Palermo because there are hundreds of cars on the road at any given time. Palermo is one of the most trafficated town in Southern Italy! Trying to maneuver through traffic with a large vehicle is complicated, so stick with something you know how to operate and learn the rules of the road. In Palermo is hard to find parking too: you must have a rental car because of the scarcity of buses and general public transport, but better choose a small car to enjoy your stay.
- Oh yes-most cars are standard shift so you better know how to drive one!
Many tourists ask whether it is easier to rent their car right from an agency in the city or take advantage of car hire at Palermo Airport. If you want to spend the money on a taxi to your hotel, go ahead, but you will need a rental car sooner or later.
There are rental agencies on just about any corner in Palermo, and you can easily walk to any one of them. The advantage of car rentals at Palermo Airport is that you have all the major agencies right there in one area. You might have to walk blocks to locate the one you had in mind if you wait until you are in the city.
If you have made all your arrangements online it is a simple matter of showing your documentation at the Airport and picking up your car. Less time, and often less money as you may well get a good deal online that you wouldn’t get if you wait until you arrive.
Companies appreciate the fact that you have everything in order when you get there. It avoids long lines, confusion, and pileups at the rental counter.
Remember, you are there for a vacation, not a headache!
Get it all done ahead of time, avoid the lines, pick up your vehicle and have a great vacation. Book online your car BEFORE arriving to Palermo is a wise idea: go there well prepared, have everything you need in terms of paperwork, sign and go!